Who Cares? Exploring the Concept of Care Networks for Designing Healthcare Technologies
The goal of the workshop is to explore the concept of care networks in CSCW and to devise a plan for future research on healthcare technologies and systems. We will discuss collaborative care situations that are better understood by exploring various aspects of care networks. Our approach will be based on co-creation, bringing diverse perspectives together to speak about the various potentials as well as consequences of technologies that support care networks.
The background for this workshop is the reduced discussion on collaborative care arrangements. Even though dealing with a chronic condition often involves daunting tasks and the participation of a collective in care, previous work has mostly examined collaborations as the work of dyads, such as patients and clinicians. In this workshop, we will explore the concept of care networks, which can better account for the numerous human and non-human actors and roles that compose care. We invite designers, researchers, and practitioners to participate in a full-day workshop in which we will reflect on empirical studies and theoretical accounts of care networks, and put forward an agenda for better acknowledging care networks in the research around healthcare technologies and systems.
Prospective participants are invited to submit a 2-4 pages position paper using the EUSSET template. Submissions should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org by April 8th 2019.
We expect position papers that discuss collaborative care networks, including: case studies or reports on recent experiments or prototypes, ethnographic fieldwork or qualitative studies, theoretical accounts, and critical reflections. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Who/what cares or is involved in care?
- How do different actors of a care network engage in care?
- What tensions exist in care networks?
- How are different perspectives integrated and negotiated?
- How is the care network structured?
- How do actors manage the multidirectional nature of care?
- To what extent are care networks (de)centralized?
- Does focusing on care networks change how we conceptualize care?
- How to design for care networks?
- How to incorporate different perspectives in design?
- How to enable collaborative decision making for care networks?
- What are methodological approaches or challenges to studying care networks?
- What else has been examined around care networks in the CSCW community?