Internet of Food: Emerging Trend and Challenges
The Internet of Things (IoT) is becoming increasingly prevalent in the food domain. The food industry and the agriculture depend on safer and smarter systems, able to produce high-quality food. Augmented and mixed reality environments can allow food manufacturers to better manage their inventory through eye sensors and spatial mapping. Individuals’ health - mostly related to food - can be monitored thanks to smart scales and wearable devices. Even cooking and eating can benefit from IoT devices, with things able to deliver food morsels via acoustic levitation to explore new tastes, or blended environments designed for multisensorial experience, to enable learning and allow for creative personalization. The purpose of this special issue is to provide the academic and industrial communities a venue covering all aspects of state-of-the-art approached, methods, and systems at the crossing of food and IoT, to advance their joint applications.
Topics of interests include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Innovative IoT applications for food production, storage, and delivery
- Data-driven, real-time, large scale, food policy decision making systems
- Mixed reality solutions for educating people about food consumption, preparation, and waste
- Novel devices for enabling a multisensorial food experience
- IoT systems for health and wellbeing issues, related to food
- Cyber-physical-social systems for preventing or reducing food wasting
- Novel systems for optimizing animal health, production chains transparency and traceability
- IoT for a sustainable food value chain
- Smart eating at home and at the restaurant
- Augmenting humans and food: IoT inside and on the body
- IoT for physiological measurements and customization with food
Submission Deadline: December 1, 2019
First Round Review Due: February 15, 2020
Revision Due: April 1, 2020
Acceptance Notification: May 1, 2020
Final Manuscript Due: May 15, 2020 Publication Date: 2020
Authors need to follow the manuscript format and allowable number of pages described here.
To submit a manuscript for consideration for the special issue, please visit the journal submission website and select the special issue. Please, also refer to the title of the special issue in the cover letter.